Nicotine replacement therapy is a treatment to help people stop smoking. It uses products that supply low doses of nicotine. These products do not contain many of the toxins found in smoke. The goal of therapy is to cut down on cravings for nicotine and ease the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal.
Facts about using nicotine replacement therapy:
- The more cigarettes you smoke, the higher the dose you may need to start.
- Adding a counseling program will make you more likely to quit.
- DO NOT smoke while using nicotine replacement. It can cause nicotine to build up to toxic levels.
- Nicotine replacement helps prevent weight gain while you are using it. You may still gain weight when you stop all nicotine use.
- The dose of nicotine should be slowly decreased.